Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Bible commentaries, such as the sources below, help you to find exegesis of your biblical passage.
Types of Bible Commentaries
There are three types of bible commentaries:
Single volume commentary
- 1 book covers the entire Bible
- gives general information, a brief overview
- many books shelved side-by-side cover entire Bible
- gives more specific information than the single volume commentary and less specific than the book length commentary
Book length commentary
- 1 book covers 1 book of the Bible,
- gives highly specific and detailed information
Single Volume Commentaries
Class Activity: Commentaries
- Use the UP Library Search box below to search for: Exodus commentary
- Locate a book that is available in the Book Stacks.
- Write down or take a photo of the call number
- We will go to the lower floor to find the book on the shelf and bring 1 copy per group back to the classroom
- Look up the section on Exodus chapter 14: 15-31.
- Also, use the book that was on your table to look up the section on Exodus chapter 14: 15-31 (if available).
- Enter something that you learned about this passage from one of the commentaries into the poll: https://pollev.com/stephanie
UP's library has many book-length commentaries on each book of the bible, available either in print or as eBooks.
Use the search box on this page to search for: [name of your book of the Bible] commentary
On the left sidebar, you can limit your search to Print Books or eBooks:
Recommended Book-Length Commentary Series: Smyth & Helwys
email@example.com | 503.943.7111 or 800.841.8261 | 5000 N. Willamette Blvd., Portland, OR 97203-5798
Copyright © University of Portland, All Rights Reserved | Icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com