Skip to Main Content
Types of Bible Commentaries
In your research you are likely to use two types of bible commentaries:
- 1 book has chapters covering every book of the Bible
- gives general information, a brief overview
- A book that covers 1 book of the Bible (e.g., a book on Genesis)
- gives highly specific and detailed information
Class Activity: Commentaries
- Use the search box below to search for a commentary on any book of the Bible.
- Example: Genesis commentary
- Find a book that is available in the Book Stacks.
- Write down or take a photo of the call number.
- We will go to the lower floor to find the book on the shelf and bring 1 copy per group back to the classroom.
- Look up the section on any passage of interest (for example: Genesis 15: 1-21).
- Enter your passage and something that you learned about it on the OneDrive Document.
Search for Book-Length Commentaries
UP's library has many book-length commentaries on each book of the bible, available either in print or as eBooks.
Use the search box on this page to search for: [name of your book of the Bible] commentary
On the left sidebar, you can limit your search to Print Books or eBooks:
firstname.lastname@example.org | 503.943.7111 or 800.841.8261 | 5000 N. Willamette Blvd., Portland, OR 97203-5798
Copyright © University of Portland, All Rights Reserved | Icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com