Skip to Main Content
Tips on Gathering a List of Competitors
Clark Library has several databases that can give you lists of competitors around the world, in the United States, or on a particular street.
Use one of these strategies to search effectively:
- Name a competitor
- Think of a business already in the same industry, and search for it
- Know your North American Industry Classification System (NAICS, rhymes with "snakes") code(s)
- These codes, 2-6 digits long, are a uniform way to find information on an industry and its companies
- Locate a NAICS code by looking up a competitor in these resources:
- Search NAICS system directly if you have a good sense of vocabulary; also use this search to see industry segments.
Different databases allow different strategies; see below for further guidance.
Nexis Uni Company Dossier
- Know your NAICS code
- Select Create a Company List from menu bar at top
- Enter your NAICS code in the first section
- In the Geographic Information section, enter the geographic level that interests you:
- Country/Region -- Select United States to activate States list
- State -- possible to select more than one
- Postal / ZIP Code
- Street Address -- include direction, e.g., NE Fremont
Hoover's Company Profiles in Nexis Uni
- Name a publicly traded competitor
- Type [AND [the competitor]] into the database search box
- In your search results, look for In-depth Record
- The In-depth Record will contain a list of competitors, linked to similar profiles
Two searches possible:
1a. Name a publicly traded competitor
1b. Look for your company in Company Search box on main screen.
1c. Select Competitors tab and view three lists of competitors (first 25 by revenues or sales):
- Public USA
- Public Global
Public lists will show some company financials; private lists will show sales and number of employees.
2a. Know your NAICS code
2b. Choose Advanced Search option at top of main screen
2c. Select Industry Codes search and enter your NAICS code. Select submit button to view results.
2d. Go to Corporate Information search for Country (of incorporation or operations), State (of incorporation or operations), City, or Zip Code. Search for one country, state, city, or zip code at a time.
email@example.com | 503.943.7111 or 800.841.8261 | 5000 N. Willamette Blvd., Portland, OR 97203-5798
Copyright © University of Portland, All Rights Reserved | Icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com