Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
IHW Best Bets
MEDLINE This link opens in a new window
Biomedicine, veterinary medicine, pharmacology, microbiology, and genetics. 1949- . The most current Medline citations are available through PubMed
Natural Medicines This link opens in a new window
Provides evidence-based information about complementary and alternative therapies. Separate Health & Wellness database
rates effectiveness of specific diets and activities as well as some therapies.
Alt HealthWatch This link opens in a new window
Full text of complementary and alternative medicine scholarly journals and general interest publications. 1990-
In MEDLINE and CINAHL, the Clinical Queries filter uses specific search strategies "to aid in retrieving scientifically sound and clinically relevant study reports." The Queries have three options:
- High Sensitivity – the broadest search to include ALL relevant material. It may include less relevant materials.
- High Specificity – the most targeted search to include only the most relevant result set, may miss some relevant materials.
- Best Balance – retrieves the best balance between Sensitivity and Specificity.
If you use this filter, I strongly recommend that you use ALL of the options in sequence, or that you COMBINE the options (Ctrl-, Shift-, Command-click). Above all, learn about the search strategies behind the options before you use them, and consider building your own strategies. See below for links, and read the "Search Terms for Types of Studies" box elsewhere on this page for additional ideas.
Search Terms for Types of Studies
Add these search terms to your database search to locate specific types of research studies.
- Qualitative Studies, Ethno*, Grounded Theory, Phenomenological Studies, Interview*, (Theme* OR Thematic)
- Mixed Methods
- Case Control Studies, Hospital-Based Case Control, Matched Case Control, Population-Based Case Control
- Experimental Studies (but also: ask a librarian to help you explore options in the subject term thesaurus for each database)
- Quasi-Experimental, Multiple Time Series, Nonequivalent Control Group, Time Series
- Cohort, Concurrent Prospective Studies, Nonconcurrent Prospective Studies, Prospective Studies
firstname.lastname@example.org | 503.943.7111 or 800.841.8261 | 5000 N. Willamette Blvd., Portland, OR 97203-5798
© 2020 University of Portland, All Rights Reserved | Icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com