Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Publications written in non-technical language for a general audience.
- Authors are journalists or freelance writers.
- Sources of information are mentioned within the text, but not cited.
Examples: magazine and newspaper articles, popular nonfiction books, blog posts.
Journal Articles: Research vs. Reviews
- present study findings
- are written by the people who did the research
- have methods and results sections
Barker, E. T., Howard, A. L., Galambos, N. L., & Wrosch, C. (2016). Tracking affect and academic success across university: Happy students benefit from bouts of negative mood. Developmental Psychology, 52(12), 2022-2030. doi:10.1037/dev0000231
Flynn, D. M., & MacLeod, S. (2015). Determinants of happiness in undergraduate university students. College Student Journal, 49(3), 452-460.
- summarize and discuss findings from many studies (also known as a literature review)
- are written by people who read the studies
- do not have methods and results sections (with the exception of systematic reviews) (example)
- Tip: do not confuse these with book review articles (example)
Oishi, S., & Gilbert, E. A. (2016). Current and future directions in culture and happiness research. Current Opinion in Psychology, 8, 54–58. doi:10.1016/j.copsyc.2015.10.005
Suldo, S. M., Riley, K. N., & Shaffer, E. J. (2006). Academic correlates of children and adolescents' life satisfaction. School Psychology International, 27(5), 567-582. doi:10.1177/0143034306073411
Publications written by experts for an expert audience.
- Most scholarly papers undergo peer review before they are published as a journal article.
- Sources are cited and listed in references at the end of the paper.
Examples: journal articles, scholarly books, conference papers.
email@example.com | 503.943.7111 or 800.841.8261 | 5000 N. Willamette Blvd., Portland, OR 97203-5798
© 2020 University of Portland, All Rights Reserved | Icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com