Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Mendeley has a citation tool that can be downloaded as an add-in for Microsoft® Word. You can use Mendeley Cite to:
- Search for references in your Mendeley library and insert them into the document you're working on.
- Select and insert individual or multiple references at once.
- Create a bibliography of all the references you've cited.
- Change to any of your preferred citation styles in just a few clicks.
- Cite without having Mendeley Reference Manager open or even installed - once you sign in to Mendeley Cite, your Mendeley library is downloaded from the cloud.
- Keep sight of your Word document at all times - Mendeley Cite opens as a separate panel in Word alongside your document window, not over it.
Download Mendeley Cite.
How to Access Mendeley Cite on Microsoft Word
After installing the add-in, Mendeley Cite can be found in the References tab in Word. By selecting Mendeley Cite, you will be prompted to sign in with your Mendeley account to access your reference library.
Follow these steps to add citations to your paper:
- Place the cursor to where you would like to insert a citation.
- Go to the Mendeley Cite add-in window and select the References tab. On this tab, you will be given a selection of all the references present in your Mendeley Library, and will be prompted to check the box of the reference(s) you would like to insert into your document.
- After selecting your desired references, choose Insert citation to add the reference(s) to your document. The citation should automatically insert with the correct formatting.
firstname.lastname@example.org | 503.943.7111 or 800.841.8261 | 5000 N. Willamette Blvd., Portland, OR 97203-5798
© 2020 University of Portland, All Rights Reserved | Icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com