Skip to Main Content
After selecting a link to a library resource and entering your UP username and password, nothing seems to happen for about a minute, and then you see one of the error messages below.
This Site Can't Provide a Secure Connection
Some Comcast/Xfinity users have reported seeing an error message saying that "This site can't provide a secure connection." For more information about troubleshooting this error, see the Comcast Access Issues help from Gonzaga University.
Reason for this Error
This error usually occurs due to a conflict between a setting on either your device or your local network and our off-campus access system.
Troubleshooting Tips: Firewalls
Firewall settings frequently cause this issue by blocking access to UP's proxy server (which provides our off-campus access to library resources).
If you are trying to connect from work:
- Many corporate, government, or educational work environments use a firewall for security purposes, which may block access to the library's off-campus access system.
- Contact your local network administrator to let them know that you need access to the University of Portland's proxy server, EZproxy. Provide the following information:
- EZproxy requires access to the following ports: 2048 (outbound connection); 443 (secure login)
- EZproxy uses the following domains: uportland.idm.oclc.org and login.uportland.idm.oclc.org
- EZproxy always uses a secure connection (https://)
If you are trying to connect from home:
- If you have installed personal firewall software (such as Norton Antivirus), you need to allow access to the following sites (as safe sites): login.uportland.idm.oclc.organd uportland.idm.oclc.org. For more assistance, refer to the documentation provided with your firewall software.
- Confirm that your network allows access to the following ports: 2048 (outbound connection); 443 (for secure logon)
- For more assistance, contact your local internet service provider, or contact someone who specializes in troubleshooting internet networks
More Troubleshooting Tips
Ad-blockers, Privacy Monitors, and other extensions/add-ons
- Internet browser extensions and add-ons such as ad-blockers and privacy monitors may interfere with off-campus access to library resources.
- Follow the instructions to review and disable or remove browser extensions.
- Please contact the library at 503.943.7788, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, for assistance.
email@example.com | 503.943.7111 or 800.841.8261 | 5000 N. Willamette Blvd., Portland, OR 97203-5798
Copyright © University of Portland, All Rights Reserved | Icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com