Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
After selecting a link to a library resource and entering your UP username and password, nothing seems to happen for about a minute, and then you see one of the error messages below.
This Site Can't Provide a Secure Connection
Some Comcast/Xfinity users have reported seeing an error message saying that "This site can't provide a secure connection." For more information about troubleshooting this error, see the Comcast Access Issues help from Gonzaga University.
Reason for this Error
This error usually occurs due to a conflict between a setting on either your device or your local network and our off-campus access system.
Troubleshooting Tips: Firewalls
Firewall settings frequently cause this issue by blocking access to UP's proxy server (which provides our off-campus access to library resources).
If you are trying to connect from work:
- Many corporate, government, or educational work environments use a firewall for security purposes, which may block access to the library's off-campus access system.
- Contact your local network administrator to let them know that you need access to the University of Portland's proxy server, EZproxy. Provide the following information:
- EZproxy requires access to the following ports: 2048 (outbound connection); 443 (secure login)
- EZproxy uses the following domains: ezproxy-eres.up.edu and login.ezproxy-eres.up.edu
- EZproxy always uses a secure connection (https://)
If you are trying to connect from home:
- If you have installed personal firewall software (such as Norton Antivirus), you need to allow access to the following sites (as safe sites): login.ezproxy-eres.up.edu and ezproxy-eres.up.edu. For more assistance, refer to the documentation provided with your firewall software.
- Confirm that your network allows access to the following ports: 2048 (outbound connection); 443 (for secure logon)
- For more assistance, contact your local internet service provider, or contact someone who specializes in troubleshooting internet networks
More Troubleshooting Tips
Ad-blockers, Privacy Monitors, and other extensions/add-ons
- Internet browser extensions and add-ons such as ad-blockers and privacy monitors may interfere with off-campus access to library resources.
- Follow the instructions to review and disable or remove browser extensions.
- Please contact the library at 503.943.7788, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, for assistance.
email@example.com | 503.943.7111 or 800.841.8261 | 5000 N. Willamette Blvd., Portland, OR 97203-5798
© 2020 University of Portland, All Rights Reserved | Icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com